Saturday, August 11, 2012

Finally Home

We are finally home after being awake for 36 straight hours. Taking two flights with a toddler is difficult, but add to that a little guy who misses his "umma" so much and you have a very stressful airport/ airplane situation.  It was, without a doubt, the most stressful day of my entire life. Since our flight didn't leave until 10:00 at night, we had a full day of activities before we even headed to the airport. We went, once again, to the indoor mall called the Coex, but this time we went to the aquarium-- along with hundreds of screaming toddlers and school groups.  Craziness.

We left for the airport at 6:00 pm, but Little Rob fell asleep in the van. We were worried he wouldn't sleep on the plane so we tried to keep him awake, but I've learned that when this guy wants to sleep, there's no stopping him. As I am writing this post, the gardener is outside of his window with a leaf blower and Robert hasn't stirred! Suffice it to say, our experience at the Incheon Airport was my worst nightmare. Two straight hours of screaming, tantrums, biting, scratching, throwing himself on the floor, ear-piercing screams, and a lot of dirty looks.  Luckily for us and for the passengers on the plane, our little trooper slept all 9 hours to Hawaii (plus an extra hour we sat on the plane while they kicked off a customer and then forgot to get his items from the overhead bin.)  Of course he woke up about 10 times and screamed at the top of his lungs for 2 minutes, but it could have been so much worse.

In Hawaii, we had to go through Immigration with our Resident Alien and it took forever. They actually told us they forgot about us because they were changing shifts. I seriously don't know how that was possible as we had a crazy toddler running up and down the place and trying to enter the booths. Nonetheless, we got through Immigration but still needed to check our bags back in. We only had 30 minutes until our flight was taking off, but we found out that our plane was delayed 3 hours. Oh, the torture continues. I texted my friend Melanie to ask for prayers, and that girl has a direct line to Jesus because we had a good airport experience and even got seats together with an empty middle seat between us. The people around us at the airport gave us smiles, and even the people on the flight congratulated us and gave us compassionate looks when Robert cried out for his umma.

So we got home at 3:30 am local time.  Our wonderful small group friends had a sign on our house for our arrival. So awesome. We all fell asleep around 4:30 am.  Home.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the posts my Julie! What a crazy experience you guys had. I love you all and am honored to pray for you. God is good!